How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20026
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently left my boyfriend after nearly 2 years. For the

This answer was rated:

I recently left my boyfriend after nearly 2 years. For the past year, I have have known he has a IV drug problem. He is a surgeon and also routinely puts patients to sleep in his office because of his specialty. In the past, I know he has filled narcotic scripts under my name to feed his habit ( without my consent). I am concerned he could kill a patient, as he some times does drugs will seeing patients/sedating patients. Im also extremely worried he will slip up and hurt himselr. I am very conflicted... But considering speaking to the dea. I want to know my protection. If he ever discovered I tipped them off, I am concerned for what he would do. Is all of this information confidential? Would they share my indentity at all?


Thank you for the information and your question. You could make it clear to the DEA that you need to remain a confidential informant for your safety, before you give them any information. Another way to handle this is to hire a local attorney to contact them and make the arrangements for you to provide this information as a confidential informant.

That said, if you were ultimately necessary as a witness at trial, assuming they could not prove all charges against him without your testimony, then they could compel you to testify. That doesn't mean he would know that you had started the investigation, it just means at that point, he would know you had been subpeonaed to testify against him.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What type of lawyer would I need to consult to help me with this process?
Hello again--You would want to speak to a criminal law attorney. They work with law enforcement on a regular basis and also can protect your interests in terms of your knowledge that he was using your name to file fraudulent prescriptions.
Marsha411JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Even if I spoke with the attorney and decided not to contact the dea, would I still be protected with the information i provided the lawyer?
Yes, the attorney could not share that information with the DEA.
Hello again Barbara,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the legal answer I provided to you on the 10th. The Site has been a little buggy lately so the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I did not receive a rating so that is why I was inquiring as to whether there was more assistance that you needed. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, your help has been very appreciated. I saw a criminal attorney today. I will leave feedback!

Thank you and best of luck to you!