Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 28 yrs. exp. in criminal law
19127644

I was just offered a job and I have to fill out the appropriate

I was just offered a job and I have to fill out the appropriate paperwork so I can proceed with my hiring. On the authenticity form, it asks the question "have you even been convicted of a crime, other than a minor traffic offense? Convictions include guilty and no contest pleas, nolo contendere, probation, adjudication with held and diversion programs. If yes, please explain:

I was charged with underage drinking in my home state of PA when I was 16 years old. Paid the $100 and some odd dollar fine and my permit was suspended for 90 days. This will be nine years ago in October. I have run both a background check and a criminal background check on myself where I have found nothing but the two traffic violations I have received in the past 3 years.

How to I answer this question? Am I shooting myself in the foot by answering "yes" to this question?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Can you tell me are you applying for a job in PA? If not, what State are you applying in? Are you applying for a government job or with a private employer? What kind of position are you applying for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The job is in Pennsylvania with an insurance company as an associate underwriter.

Hello again and thank you for your quick response. You will not have an issue with your application if you say "yes" to this question and supply the information that you provided here. That is because in PA an employer may only consider felony and misdemeanor convictions that are directly related to the duties of the job. In this case, this conviction, which is really just an infraction, will not be an issue if you note it.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess my real question is should I answer "yes?" I feel like the mistake I made as a teenager is like a black cloud that's been hanging over me.

Well, technically this was a summary conviction. So, if you don't list it and they find out later that you did not include it, because it comes back on their background check (because their check is more comprehensive than what you can get online), then you risk being terminated for giving false information on your application.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney with 28 yrs. exp. in criminal law