P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.

Why would a judge want a parent or guardian present for an

Why would a judge want a parent or guardian present for an 18 year old how was issued an appearence ticket for section 221.05 of NYS penal law?
Thanks for the chance to assist on this matter. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience in criminal law.

Most likely to "send a message" to the child.

While an 18 year old is an adult (and subject to the adult criminal code), they are still young. I suspect the judge wants to try and send a message to the child of the importance of obeying the law, and, more important, the potential consequences for not following the law

What you describe, a first offense under 221.05 is an infraction. There is no jail time possible. But jail time is possible for subsequent convictions. SO I bet the judge is going to try and get the parents involved in the process in an attempt to prevent further violations

There is no legal requirement for the parent to appear...but it sure could not hurt