Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I was arrested in 2005 for gross misdemeanor charges of communication

I was arrested in 2005 for gross misdemeanor charges of communication with a minor for immoral purposes and attempted child molestation 3rd degree. The case was dismissed with prejudice in 2006. How do I expunge all criminal records at the municipal, county and state level?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

Yes

Alex Esquire :

was the case in Washington state?

Customer:

Yes. The case was in the municipal court for the city of Puyallup in Pierce County, Washington State. The case was dismissed with prejudice in 2006.

Alex Esquire :

Was your record absolutely clean after this case?

Customer:

Yes, except for 1 speeding ticket in 2010 that was deferred and dismissed after a year in Lynnwood, Washington.

Alex Esquire :

was this speeding ticket a criminal or civil citation?

Customer:

I am not sure. I was given a ticket and appeared in court to challenge it, I was given the option of deferring it for a year and if no other traffic violations occurred, the ticket would be dismissed, which I believe is what occurred.

Alex Esquire :

I have some good news for you.

Alex Esquire :

Washington state law does allow for a non-conviction records to be expunged.

Alex Esquire :

Also, you can hire an attorney to assist you in your expungement process or you can do it yourself.

Alex Esquire :

Below is the link to the official Washington State government website, that has the correct form and all the information related to the expungement process:

Alex Esquire :

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/publications/forms/request_deletion_records.pdf

Alex Esquire :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

It appears to. To recap: I can expunge all my non-conviction records myself by following the link and completing the forms provided. Legally do I have to say I was arrested or because it is expunged can I say that I have not been arrested? Thank you for your help and assistance. Michael

Alex Esquire :

Dear XXXXX,

Alex Esquire :

For all private intended purposes, once you record is officially expunged you can answer "no" when asked about the arrest.

Alex Esquire :

However, the FBI records never get expunged, but they would be locked and would only be released for official government purposes.

Alex Esquire :

So it you are applying for a government position or license and the question asks you about an arrest and also stated that any sealed arrests or expunged arrests have to be disclosed, then you would have to follow such instructions.

Alex Esquire :

but for any private purposes that would be a non-issue.

Alex Esquire :

does that make sense?

Alex Esquire :

You can file the form yourself for expungement or you can contact a local expungement attorney and usually for a relatively low flat fee this local attorney can help you obtain an expungement

Customer:

Yes. I appreciate your help. Thank you. Michael

Alex Esquire :

many people choose to hire an attorney, just to be on a safe side and to make sure that their application for expungement is processed quickly and efficiently.

Alex Esquire :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Customer:

Will do. Cheers

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor