Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

I was just charged with a theft misdemeanor at my job. My manager

I was just charged with a theft misdemeanor at my job. My manager asked me to quit and to return everything I stole and she would not call the cops. She did call the cops when I returned with the stuff I took and they charged me with a theft misdemeanor. First I am wondering what is going to happen, will I be fined or will I go to court? Will it be on my record forever? And will my current full time job find out about this?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

yes

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex Esquire :

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Alex Esquire :

Can you please tell me in which state did this happen?

Customer:

Minnesota

Alex Esquire :

Can you please tell the exact criminal charge(s) are you facing?

Customer:

on my citation it says theft-legal interest-permanent deprive another. statute/ordinance 609.52.2(a)(2)

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any prior criminal convictions?

Customer:

2 years ago i was charged with obstruction of justice but plead not guilty until i got a sentence of a fine and one year probation and then the charge was taken off of my record.

Alex Esquire :

What is your age?

Customer:

21

Alex Esquire :

What was the value of this property?

Customer:

about $250.00

Alex Esquire :

Okay

Alex Esquire :

Well this is a misdemeanor crime punishable by up to 90 days and a fine of up to $1,000 upon conviction.

Alex Esquire :

Unfortunately, since you already had a deferred prosecution case before, you would not be eligible for another deferred prosecution and if you are convicted or plead guilty to this offense, it will remain on your permanent criminal record.

Alex Esquire :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

yes. it does.

Alex Esquire :

Did you hire an experienced local criminal attorney to defend you?

Alex Esquire :

Did you admit to the theft?

Customer:

no i did not hire anyone.

Customer:

and i returned the clothes i took so yes i admitted to it

Alex Esquire :

As far as the current employer goes, if you are sentenced to probation, usually part of the term of the probation, is that you would have to inform your current employer that you are on probation for theft.

Alex Esquire :

I would strongly suggest that you do consult and retain local criminal defense attorney, as you could face potential up to 90 days in jail if you are convicted of this offense.

Customer:

you don't think a public defender is enough?

Customer:

i am not even sure if i have to go to court yet. the police officer says i have to call the number on my citation in a couple of days to see if i have a court date or just pay a fine

Alex Esquire :

Public Defenders are great lawyers, but they usually overworked and underpaid and a PD simply might not have the time or energy that your case required.

Alex Esquire :

You will have to go to court and enter a plea

Alex Esquire :

This is criminal offense, not a violation where you can simply pay a fine

Customer:

do misdemeanor theft charged people usually end up serving 90 days?

Alex Esquire :

You can never rely on anything that police tell you, as they are not your friend and not there to give you legal advice.

Alex Esquire :

No

Alex Esquire :

but it is the maximum sentence under the law

Alex Esquire :

With a good local attorney, you might not have to serve any jail time and might simply be given 2-3 years probation, fine, court costs and community service.

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer:

no. i just feel like im screwed. i didn't want to have to tell anyone but i am going to have to tell my dad. i do not have enough money to pay for a lawyer. and i cannot go to jail.

Alex Esquire :

I completely understand and I am sorry this has happened. But this can be used constructively, so you can get a valuable lesson out of this unfortunate situation.

Alex Esquire :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes it does. thanks for your help

Alex Esquire :

I wish you the best of luck. Please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Customer:

of course

Alex Esquire :

Good luck and God bless you!

Alex Esquire :

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor