Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

is an arrest warrant in ma for a small claim judgment an extraditable

is an arrest warrant in ma for a small claim judgment an extraditable offense in the state of fl?

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

There shouldn't be an arrest warrant issued for failing to pay a civil judgment other than child support or alimony. Can you explain what happened?

Customer:

I filed a MA small claim for $7,000 for rent owed. their attorney filed a bogus counterclaim in the same amount. I didn't show so the judge dismissed my case and awarded a judgment to my tenant. now live in florida.

JD 1992 :

It would be illegal for an arrest warrant to be issued based on someone receiving a civil judgment against you. How did you hear about the warrant?

Customer:

in ma small claim rules, if you don't show up to arrange payment of the judgment, they will issue a warrant.

JD 1992 :

Florida isn't going to honor that and if anybody challenges it then it will be illegal. We don't have debtor's jail here in the US.

JD 1992 :

They can't jail you for failing to pay or make payment arrangements on a civil debt.

Customer:

can you site the fl and ma law

JD 1992 :

I can't cite anything there is no law that allows it.

JD 1992 :

I can't cite something which doesn't exist.

Customer:

ok, thank you. can I print your answers or can you email me out conversation?

JD 1992 :

Once you issue your Positive Rating the format will change to a Q and A and you can print it using your browser's print function.

JD 1992 :

I can ask the moderators to email you a copy but I'm not sure if they do or how long it takes but I know the browser print method works.

JD 1992 :

Anything else I can assist with?