Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I have been charged with. A misdemeanor a for violating a adult

Customer Question

I have been charged with. A misdemeanor a for violating a adult protection order in missouri was wanting to know my chances of fighting this to prevent jail time
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Is this your first alleged violation of the order?

Did you knowingly violate the order and does the other party have actual evidence of the violation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes she has evidence and no I was sleeping and apperently had sent a draft text that was in my phone to her say plz dont put me in jail I woke up to the cops at the door and went I. For a 24 hour hold. I didnt even know what I had sent when I went In for the hold

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes this is the first alleged violation

Thank you for your response.

The court will not buy that the text was sent while you were asleep unless you provide some proof of how that can be done. If you can provide actual proof how it can be done and how you sending the draft was not intentional then this is a defense. Additionally, the good news is that as all this violation consists of is a text and no physical contact, the courts on a first violation are more inclined to fine you for the violation and not issue any actual jail time other than the time you have already served upon your arrest.

Thus, it is highly unlikely you will see more jail time for this incident, even if the court does not find that you sent the text unintentionally, based on the severity of the violation being very minor.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.