How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26440
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If i skip court on bond from louisiana and move to colorado

Customer Question

If i skip court on bond from louisiana and move to colorado will i be ok im charged with cds1 w/ int
ent 3rd weed charge
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

Possession with intent to sell marijuana is a felony in Louisiana. If you skip court you will lose your bond money and a warrant will issue for your arrest. If you are found in Colorado or, for that matter, in any US state or territory you will be arrested, because every state gives full faith and credit to a sister state's fugitive warants.

You will be held -- in most instances without bail -- until Louisiana is contacted and tells them what to do with you. Most states will extradite on a felony matter, which means that you will continue to be held until Louisiana sends a team of officers to take you back to face your charges.

You may never get caught, of course, but Louisiana willl have other ways of getting your attention. You will eventually lose your license and with a fugitive warrant out against you there are some state benefits you won't be eligible for, if they become necessary, such as social security, disability and veteran's benefits.

All in all, you'll spend a lifetime looking over your shoulder and make that life increasingly inconvenient for yourself.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news, but it's best to stick around and deal with your case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Let me tell u what happened the police knocked on my door said they had a phone call saying there was drugs being sold at my residents i told them to leave they said they had probable cause searched found a bag but when my wife gets home they trick her and she signs a consent to search didn't find nothing but when the police come back to the station they have a bunch of bags but thebags they found wasn't on our land is anything i can do
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 3 years ago.
Sounds like you have some things to work with. But the only thing you can do is hire a lawyer and let him deal with the case. If there are search issues with the first search, perhaps he can get the drugs he recovered suppressed. And then if the rest did not come from your property, maybe he can establish reasonable doubt and you can beat the case.

Anyhow, you can't make things better for yourself by becoming a fugitive from justice. That could subject you to another felony charge as well.

Related Criminal Law Questions