Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I attended a bar in Texas and had several drinks. The sheriff

Customer Question

I attended a bar in Texas and had several drinks. The sheriff department had several officers monitoring the crowd. I said hello to one of the sheriffs and he asked me to step outside. He informed me the bar can't serve me any more drinks by law. He asked me my name. Then he asked to see my driver's license. He made a call and read my driver's license information to someone. He said I needed to call a cab. A cab showed up and they had several people they were sending home. I got in the cab. I heard my name mentioned out loud a few times outside the cab. I stayed in the cab.

I need to know if I was charged or will be charged with drunk and disorderly conduct. Should I be expecting to see something in the mail or do you think the situation is over. I have a clean criminal record and no prior offenses.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Customer :

Thanks

JD 1992 :

About a 95%+ chance the situation is over. Usually if they are going to prosecute you they will do so right there and either arrest you or give you the ticket. In these kinds of cases it is extremely rare to get a ticket in the mail later.

Customer :

I am not sure if they were calling me back out of the cab. Some other lady was supposed to be in the cab before me. The cab driver told the sheriff my location was closer. When would I know if they are going to do anything.

JD 1992 :

You will know within a week but there is no need to worry. They would have had the cab stopped if they wanted you.

Customer :

Okay thanks. I would basically lose my job if they charge me. I guess I won't be going out anymore.

JD 1992 :

I don't think you need to worry. i've never seen anyone charged with this set of facts.

Customer :

Thanks. I appreciate it. One last thing and then we can close. When he called in my license what was that about.

JD 1992 :

Checking for warrants.

Customer :

ok thanks for your help

JD 1992 :

You're welcome and best wishes to you.

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected.