Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

our son had a motor vehicle accident and had a b.a.c. of .018.

our son had a motor vehicle accident and had a b.a.c. of .018. he had just turned 18 a month previous to his accident. The county officer charged him with minor in possession. The State Patrol charged him with careless driving,drug paraphernalia a pot pipe was found out on the ground they didn't find it in the vehicle or on him. What can happen to him when he goes to court. Do we need to hire an attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex Esquire :

I am sorry to hear about your son's unfortunate situation.

Alex Esquire :

Can you please tell me if anyone was hurt in the accident?

Customer: Yes I'm online. No one was injured
Alex Esquire :

Was your son also charged with DUI?

Customer: No
Alex Esquire :

Do you know why?

Customer: The officer said she didn't want to charge him with DUI He was taken to the jail for paper wok then released
Alex Esquire :

Well, he was extremely fortunate, as his alcohol limit was extremely high.

Alex Esquire :

Does your son have any prior criminal record?

Customer: No prior record. The officer said his BAC was low
Alex Esquire :

actually, I agree

Alex Esquire :

Sorry I thought it was 0.18 not 0.018

Alex Esquire :

which is under the DUI back for someone under 21 of 0.02

Customer: Ok sorry my mistake
Alex Esquire :

In any case, does the careless driving charge states that it is with bodily injury or without?

Customer: The officer crossed out the (cause bodily injury/caused death ) out
Alex Esquire :

okay good.

Alex Esquire :

Well here is the break down.

Alex Esquire :

Minor in Possession of Alcohol charge carries a penalty of a fine of up to $250 and a driver license suspension for 3 months upon conviction.

Alex Esquire :

Possession of drug paraphernalia is a petty offense and carries a fine of up to $100

Alex Esquire :

The most serious charge is the careless driving charge.

Alex Esquire :

This is a traffic misdemeanor 2 and carries a penalty of 10-90 days in jail and a fine of up to $300, plus additional fees and surcharges upon conviction.

Alex Esquire :

So, it would be absolutely a good idea for you to consult and retain an experienced local criminal defense attorney, since not only your son can be facing jail time, but also you would not want to have your son to have a drug related conviction, which can prevent him from getting into colleges, qualifying for federal student loans and getting a job in the future.

Alex Esquire :

Does this make sense?

Customer: Yes it does he is already enrolled in college we just got back from Denver looking at his school. Thank you so much we truly appreciate it.
Alex Esquire :

Well, young kids do make mistakes and hopefully your son will get a valuable lesson out of this incident and thank God nobody got injured or killed

Alex Esquire :

I wish you the best of luck. Please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.

Customer: F
Alex Esquire :

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.