How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask SmithEsq Your Own Question

SmithEsq, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 114
Experience:  Experienced practicing criminal lawyer ready to answer your questions regarding charges, laws, bail and more.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
SmithEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My gf got a DUI in the orlando area (first offense). She moved

Customer Question

My gf got a DUI in the orlando area (first offense). She moved to NYC (with permission) but didnt not complete her MADD classes or her community service in time, she has now violated her probation. Can she clear this all up from NYC? Or does she need to go down to Florida? Is she going to have to go to jail at all? She is very scared and I am very worried for her. Would like to get this all in the past.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  SmithEsq replied 1 year ago.

SmithEsq :

Hi! I'm A licensed professional and will be assisting you with your question today. I'm sorry for the trouble your going through. Before I can give you my best answer I just need to ask you a couple of questions, if that's okay.

SmithEsq :

When was she convicted and when was she due to do the classes and community service?

SmithEsq :

How much time did she have to complete the classes and community service?

SmithEsq :

When you are back online, simply enter your answers in the box below. When we are all finished, and you are completely satisfied, kindly rate my answer at that time 3-5 stars so I get credit for my work. until then, please provide the above information so we can get started.

Expert:  SmithEsq replied 1 year ago.

Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

Expert:  SmithEsq replied 1 year ago.
Hello! I see you have seen my questions and response above. I understand it is a holiday so I understand if you don't have time to get to the question and provide me with some more details, but, whenever you get the chance, if you would provide the details I asked above I can get to work more quickly in helping you. I look forward to working with you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She was convicted in I believe in June 2012. She had 5 months to do the community service from july-december and was supposed to do the MADD class in by august, but the only available one around us was in Oct. She says the probation people have her address and her parents address but she has never received anything from them at either address. Also when she looks up her warrant online it apparently says her address is unknown.


When I look up her warrant info online, this is what I get:


Offense: Traffic Offenses

Reporting Agency: POLK CO SO

Agency Case #: XXXXXXXXXX /div>

Date of Warrant: 01/24/2013

Warrant #: CT11001862BA
Expert:  SmithEsq replied 1 year ago.
From what you've said and shown me she has an active arrest warrant for violating the terms of her plea. I'm not sure if she's actually on probation or if you are just using that term to mean the terms of her release, as some people do, but they are not the same. Violating the terms of your plea will create an arrest warrant. Meaning, if she gets pulled over and they run her license, it will show up that she is wanted. Now, one thing I can't tell you is if NY can see her Fla. warrant. Or any other state for that matter. However, if she steps foot in Fla she could be arrested on the spot. But it doesn't end there. Just because she has a warrant doesn't mean she'll go to jail. The judge has enormous discretion in sentencing her and after she has explained what happened to her lawyer and he conveys an argument to the judge, the judge can reinstate her release with the same terms, new terms or no terms at all. They can give her permission to fulfill her obligations in NY, which is what she should have done in the first place. Avoiding the court and the judge is not usually advised, though we can't give advice on this site, only information. Her story will work better if she makes efforts to return herself to the court, rather than being dragged in by the police. These things happen a lot so if she can show she had circumstances beyond her control and will make good the judge can try again. He also could give her the jail alternative that was given to her at sentencing, but that is less likely to happen if she goes voluntarily and with proof of her situation and appears honest of her intent to follow through.
Expert:  SmithEsq replied 1 year ago.
One last thing for now, your question is about to time out. I'm going to request that it remain open since we only just began talking. If you are happy with the service I have provided, kindly rate my answer 3-5 stars so I get credit for my work, is all I ask. Thank you so much. If you ahve any follow up questions, ask them in teh box below.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Last | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Fran L.

    JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

    Satisfied Customers:

    18 yrs of NYC public defense. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Fran L.'s Avatar

    Fran L.

    JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

    Satisfied Customers:

    18 yrs of NYC public defense. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 27 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Related Criminal Law Questions