Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
12176198

I have a 30 year old drug arrest from Illinois. I was 17 back

Customer Question

I have a 30 year old drug arrest from Illinois. I was 17 back then and I was considered an adult. It was a class IV felony and it's stuck with me my whole life. I'm 47 years old now with no other criminal record and I'm tired of having to explain this ancient history.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 3 years ago.
Hello.

Was this a conviction or just an arrest?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Conviction. I was sentenced to "drug school" on Saturdays, which I was unable to attend because I was homeless with no transportation at the time. So I was picked up again for a bench warrant, having failed to attend drug school and sentenced to probation. I joined the Navy shortly after, turned my life around, and never went back to Illinois.

Thank you for the additional information.

Since you have a conviction, you don't qualify for an expungement (having the charge removed from your record) but you should qualify to have your record sealed (meaning no one other than law enforcement and related government agencies can access it without a court order). This article from Illinois Legal Aid explains the qualifications and the process for getting your record sealed:

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=5201&print=yes

I would suggest contacting the clerk office of the court where you were convicted to see if they have preprinted forms for the petition and order to seal the conviction.

Hope this helps!