Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I received a trespassing citation (summons) for entering a

I received a trespassing citation (summons) for entering a fee area in a state park in Oklahoma without paying the fee. I'm not sure how to handle this. Please advise.

Thanks
Hello Jacustomer,

Trespassing on Federal property is a misdemeanor which has a maximum penalty of 6 months and fines. Although a fine would be the likely way this will resolve, if you plead guilty to a misdemeanor you will have a criminal record, and federal offenses cannot be expunged.

You should handle this the way you ought to handle any criminal offense if you are charged with one: show up to court with an attorney and see what he can work out for you that can keep the crime off of your record if possible.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this is a state park not federal land does this change anything?

Hi Mark,

Sorry. It's getting late here. Actually, it does change the picture, but not by much.

Trespassing in Oklahoma is a misdemeanor, which is punishable by up to a year in jail and/or a fine of up to $500.

The big difference is the maximum amount of time. You should still have a lawyer, because you want to be able to avoid a criminal record if that can be negotiated for you.

The chances of getting a favorable disposition and keeping a misdemeanor of your record is much greater in state court than in Federal court. So that's a good thing.