Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

I am charged with a Class B misdemeanor of driving after suspension

I am charged with a Class B misdemeanor of driving after suspension and a Class B felony of possessing a narcotic drug. I missed my arraignment this morning. It was an honest mistake. I'm not trying to avoid the court. What do I do? Do I go to the court house tomorrow? I assume they will arrest me. Will I be stuck in jail over the holiday if I go to court tomorrow? Is it worse if I wait until Monday to turn myself in?

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

If you missed your arraignment, then there is a bench warrant issued for your arrest for failing to appear

And so if you go to court tomorrow, you would more than likely be arrested on the bench warrant. And then you would need to wait for the court to have a Bond hearing. And that can take up to 72 hours. So, yes, it is possible that you would spend the holiday waiting for a court hearing to see how you will be released.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Samuel, does it hurt my position with the court if I wait until Monday to contact them? Perhaps it would be better to call them rather than appear in person, to avoid getting arrested?

What about my $5,000 personal recognizance bail? Will I now owe the court $5,000 ?

If you are on bail, then yes, the judge may require you to pay that personal bond. Or you can be continued on it. It depends. I cannot tell you what is best for you. You need to make that decision.

I can tell you that if there is a bench warrant, the sheriff may come to your home to find you or they may not and only arrest you if you go to the court house or if you are stopped for a traffic violation

I suggest you can call the court house and see if there is a warrant and what the process will be when you turn yourself in - explain your FTA was not deliberate.