Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  15 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

I wrote a check for the balance of work that I was "told" ws

I wrote a check for the balance of work that I was "told" ws completed (moving things from my house & cleaning it:). The check bounced because it was deposited by them early,i thenput a stop payment on it. when i went to the house I was shocked at what was left both in & out of the house ^& the garage, & there had been no attempt to clean it, plus many other dishonesties, they are threatening to take the check to the DA re a "felony"
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
How much was the check?
.
What state is this in?
.
Were there funds available in the account when you initially wrote the check?
.
If not, did you tell the person that the check wouldn't be good until a certain date?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2 post dated checks -1 week apart each for 360.00, after I had given him 1300.00 cash at least plus filled up te U haul in gas 180.00, I must have filled it again once it got to ark from tx , plus another 60.00 for gas when they went to drop off te truck == it ws on empty & dirty so that charge was another 375.00, part o the pay was to clean up in & around the house that didnt happen, they left the glass to tables, an oil paintig done ofme fro m my SR picture etc etc

yes, i depositedthe money on friday, the n got an insfficient funds notice so i put a stop paymet on it, soon thereaftr i went to texarkana ,tx to check the house, good thing i did !!

yes i told him the checks would not be good until after i deposted a check each friday

beause he has been dishonest i now wonder if all my things were moved or if they were stolen Esp my brothers guns which again were heirlooms !

i am a therapist i CAN NOT have a felony on my record & still practice !!

sorry bout the keyboard acting up

Ok, if you postdated the checks and notified the recipient of them that they wouldn't be good until the noted date, then this is not a criminal act. It is only a crime if you write a check you know will bounce with the intent to defraud the recipient of it. Since there was no intent to defraud and they were notified of the postdating and deposited the check early, there is no crime here.
.
If the person tries to file a criminal complaint, the prosecutor will likely tell him that this is a civil matter that he will have to take up in civil court against you.
.
So at this point, this is a civil matter between you and the mover as to what, if anything, you owe him or whether he owes you anything as a refund for not performing the contracted job and possibly taking your personal property.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the other 1/2 of the story is that my landlord got a judgeent on me for $3300,(i know i owe her less than 1500) I had been in the hospital in Ark & she knew this, i did not have my receipts for the rent i paid this year in $$orders so that she would have the rent asap. Prior to 2 major surgs last yr, EVERY month for the prior 3 yrs she had my check in hand prior to the 1st, never late. in jan i sold my truck, the horse trailer & flat bed, I paid rent with this money. when i went to house to start packing, there were notices on the door, placed after what was dated. I had to be in court the next day. 4/14 there were NO notices n the door. when i told her i was movnvg, she a i am gonn evct you, she then gave me til the next sat to fiis etig thngs, when i got there the locks were already changed. her 'BF is ex policeoficer who letme in house. he refused garae. i put what i couod nt get in car upat garage asinsttucted, most was gone whn i got back And never got stuff from garage cuz was told not to go in,

how des a judgement work?? how long do i have to find my receipts ??

If you feel your original question and related follow ups have been answered, I'd appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so far. If you have a new, unrelated question, the site does require you to start a new question page, but you can request me, if you wish.

.

.

Thanks