How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question

CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 17262
Experience:  8+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My spouse was intoxicated and hit another automobile. The

Customer Question

My spouse was intoxicated and hit another automobile. The accident caused bruises to their face. When the police officer arrived they claimed I had hit them and I was immediately arrested. I was then charged, issued a restraining order from the house, and they have removed $3000 from my bank account. They have left the residence. The police wont provide a civil escort for me to remove my belonging and I can only have the restraining order changed if we both file a statement. They are also sending me multiple text messages. Is there anything I can do without the expense of the attorney in the meanwhile?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. Can you please clarify a few things for me and I would be happy to respond? Did these people see who was driving and who hit the car? If not, where were they? Are they tenants and reside in the same home as you? You stated there was a restraining order issues, so I am inclined to believe that when they say you hit them, they are talking about physically with your hand/fist? Who and how was money removed from your personal bank account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was the passenger in the vehicle with my spouse. My spouse hit the other car with our car. When the police arrived he told the officer that I had hit him. I believe this was to avoid a DUI with the officer. It didn't matter. I was arrested and taken to jail.


I didn't nor ever would strike him.

My spouse moved from the residence. While I was posting bond, he removed the money from our account. He is now texting me repeatedly stating that I hit him. This has never happened to me. I know that I need to hire an attorney, but am wondering whether there is anything I can do in the meanwhile to have the restraining order modified so I can return to the house as well as have the assault with injury to a family member removed. We have no witnesses other than the accident where he hit the other vehicle.

Thank you so much.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.
Krista, thank you for the additional information. You can take it upon yourself and proceed back to court, to have the restraining order modified, to allow you to enter the home and remove your belongings. In the body of the motion, you would need to explain to the Judge the reason that you need to enter, how you have nothing at this time and would respectfully ask that the police escort you or an assigned third party to be present, to allow you to remove your personal items. As far as the charge, it is bizarre that he keeps texting you, saying you hit him and lying, just to see you get in trouble. of course, absent any witnesses, it is going to be your word against his, along with the observations of the officer when they arrived on the scene. In an ideal situation, he would not cooperate as the victim or at least advise the State that he does not want to see you prosecuted. For him to keep trying to force the issue is odd. Moreover, he could found to be in violation of the order, if he is texting you when he knows there is not to be any contact. When you go back to court, you can ask to be appointed the public defender, if you are unable to afford to retain private counsel. If you also proceed with divorce against this man for his actions, you can try and recover the $3000 which was taken, as it is likely a martial asset and something you would be entitled to.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Last | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Fran L.

    JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

    Satisfied Customers:

    18 yrs of NYC public defense. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Fran L.'s Avatar

    Fran L.

    JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

    Satisfied Customers:

    18 yrs of NYC public defense. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 27 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Related Criminal Law Questions

Chat Now With A Criminal Lawyer
3365 Satisfied Customers
8+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.