Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.

my 16 yr old found with marijuana possession he already spoke

Customer Question

my 16 yr old found with marijuana possession he already spoke to the officer
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. Sorry to hear of your son's situation. What is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My son was in the house with two other friends, I smelled something unusual in the house and they were trying to smoke marijuana, personally I did not know how marijuana looks like, I found some in a zip lock he stated a friend gave it to him when they were out taking a walk, I had to inform the parents of the other two kids what had happened, one of them happened to be a retired police officer and he stated that we should inform the police because he had seen the evidence. we had no option other than calling an officer to the house, we have no experience with the legal system at all. please advice

Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 1 year ago.
What did the police officer do and say about the situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he asked us to call the juvenile correction center and book an appt.

Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 1 year ago.
Alright, that is what is sometimes called an intake. If you want to hire your son an attorney, you can do so. Otherwise, he will be appointed a public defender.

If you are worried about him having to spend time in juvenile detention, that is very unlikely. He will likely have some probationary period, a substance abuse evaluation and treatment if indicated, possibly community service, and some court costs to pay. The goal of the juvenile justice system is treatment/rehabilitation not punishment. It is quite a bit different than the adult criminal justice system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

During the intake, is that when we find out what happens to him or there has to be a court date? what exactly do they do during intake? what should I expect?

Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 1 year ago.
The intake is just a meeting with the juvenile worker. They will develop a treatment plan for him to propose to the court if he pleads or is found guilty. Normally the judge will follow the proposed treatment plan. It will likely include a substance abuse evaluation, some classes to attend, and possibly community service.
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience: Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so do u think an attorney is necessary at this time?
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 1 year ago.
Necessary? No. If it will not cause a financial hardship on your family, you may want to consider hiring one. However, if money is tight, I would probably just go to the intake and see what the juvenile services worker proposes.

Your son may even be able to avoid court altogether with some sort of pre-trial diversion program. Many counties have these programs for minor drug offenses, but they vary from state to state, county to county, and city to city. I'm sure this is a huge deal in your family, but it is considered a minor offense by most in the criminal justice system. Assuming he does everything he is supposed to do from here on out it should not follow him around once he becomes an adult.