Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I was convicted of a 3rd DUI in Va. in 2004. It was a non

Customer Question

I was convicted of a 3rd DUI in Va. in 2004. It was a non violent class 6 felony. I lost my gun and voting rights. I moved to Texas the end of Dec. 2012 How do I get my gun and voting rights restored?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

You can vote as a felon under Texas law. You only need to go to the Election Board and register to vote

As to your gun rights, you will need to have a Pardon from the Governor of Virginia where the conviction occurred and then you will need to petition to have the conviction expunged from your record.

And here is the link to help you with the Pardon process

Once that is all complete then you should not have any problems with being able to have a gun as per federal or Texas law.