Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

Can I be charged by the commonwealth attorney with email harassment?

Customer Question

Can I be charged by the commonwealth attorney with email harassment? Ugly break up. Guy says in email 1, leave him alone. Email 2, Let dust settle. Email 3 Occasional email. Amicable. Then nothing. But a call from a detective saying he is going to file charges. No threats have been in these emails. No sexual talk. Just sad, pathetic" please talk to me. You said amicable"
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

My name is Lucy and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Email harassment requires "the intent to coerce, intimidate, or harass" and communicating "obscene, vulgar, profane, lewd, lascivious, or indecent language, or make any suggestion or proposal of an obscene nature, or threaten any illegal or immoral act." Code of Virginia, Section 18.2-152.7:1. The emails that you are describing do not fit that legal definition. The definition of stalking refers to a course of conduct that places a person in reasonable fear for his own safety or that of another member of his household, but these emails wouldn't fit that definition, either.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.