Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

My fiance plead guilty in 2009 for robbery w dangerous weapon.

My fiance plead guilty in 2009 for robbery w dangerous weapon. Has been on probation but got arrested for violations and now is in the county jail being held by immigration. They are trying to deport him because of the previous case. Yet his criminal lawyer never advised him that pleading guilty would affect his immigration status, hed he went to trial he would probably been found not guilty considering they had no fingerprints and someone even testified that he was in the car no where near the incident I was wondering if it is to late to file for an appeal or if there is anything I can do
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

The only possible avenue at this late of a time is to file what is known as an Application/Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus and base it on ineffective assistance of counsel.

JD 1992 :

They are extremely specialized and procedurally very difficult so you would need to find a lawyer that does a lot of these.

JD 1992 :

It is too late to file a regular appeal.

Customer:

How would ibgo about finding a lawyer like that in tulsa oklahoma

Customer:

Other than just calling them out of a phone book

JD 1992 :

You can do a Google search using the following terms:

JD 1992 :

lawyer "habeas corpus" tulsa

JD 1992 :

or you can go to www.lawyers.com and look for lawyers that advertise they do habeas corpus.

Customer:

Okay thank you

Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.