Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

how many years to get a felony expunged in New Hampshire?

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. What was the actual charge that the person was convicted for and what level felony was it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have two felonies, one is A and the other B

Hello again and thank you for the information, although I don't see where you provided me with the information related to what the crimes actually were. That is important because NH has a very convoluted and complex process for annulment of a criminal record (which is the same as an expungement.)

But to answer the initial question. The waiting period for a Class B felony is 5 years and a Class A felony is 10 years. Under the law, when a petitioner seeks to have more than one offense annulled, they must wait for the longest period and apply for both at the same time. So, that would mean a wait of 10 years.

To complicate things further though there are some offenses that absolutely cannot be expunged/annulled in NH. Those are: "...any violent crime, of any crime of obstruction of justice, or of any offense for which the petitioner was sentenced to an extended term of imprisonment..."

In addition, annulments are not automatic, meaning a court must approve them after the reviewing the petition, record and any input from the State. So, if someone were going to petition for this, they definitely want to hire a local criminal law attorney who handles post-conviction issues.

You can see the statute that applies by going to:
There is also a synopsis of the law at:

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.