Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I got a ticket in lakewood colorado for patronizing a prostitute.

I got a ticket in lakewood colorado for patronizing a prostitute. First time offense and have no criminal past. What kind of fine or penalty should I expect?

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question, but I'm sorry for your trouble with this.
Kirk Adams : Here's the relevant statute:
Kirk Adams : 18-7-205: Patronizing a prostitute (1) Any person who performs any of the following with a person not his spouse commits patronizing a prostitute:(a) Engages in an act of sexual intercourse or of deviate sexual conduct with a prostitute; or(b) Enters or remains in a place of prostitution with intent to engage in an act of sexual intercourse or deviate sexual conduct.(2) Patronizing a prostitute is a class 1 petty offense; except that patronizing a prostitute is a class 1 misdemeanor if the violation is committed subsequent to two prior convictions of a violation of this section, of a violation of a comparable offense in any other state, or of a violation of a comparable municipal offense.
Kirk Adams : Here's an outline of the penaly:
Kirk Adams : § 18-1.3-503. Petty offenses classified - penalties(1) A violation of a statute of this state is a "petty offense" if specifically classified as a class 1 or class 2 petty offense. The penalty for commission of a class 1 petty offense, upon conviction, is a fine of not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisonment for not more than six months other than in state correctional facilities, or both. The penalty for commission of a class 2 petty offense is a fine specified in the section defining the offense. The penalty assessment procedure of section 16-2-201, C.R.S., is available for the payment of fines in class 2 petty offense cases.(2) Every sentence entered under this section shall include consideration of restitution as required by part 6 of this article and by article 18.5 of title 16, C.R.S.
Kirk Adams : Thus, the maximum penalty is $500 and 6 months in jail.
Kirk Adams : However, jail time is very unlikely.
Kirk Adams : instead, a fine of probably $250 or so and a short probation period is the likely result.
Customer: Do you think I would have to do jail time? Or more then likely just fined and maybe probation? Never had any problems with the law before
Kirk Adams : No, jail time should not be in play.
Kirk Adams : it is certianly possible under teh law, but it would be VERY unlikely.
Customer: Thanks for your help. It gives me alot better piece of mind and what to expect.
Kirk Adams : Sure. Glad to help
Kirk Adams : Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Kirk Adams : Thanks.
Hi - thanks for allowing me to assist you. If the need arises, I'll be glad to answer any additional questions you have regarding this or any other issue. Just let me know.