Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

My son was sentenced to 30 do 15 and 10 do 5, first was attempted

My son was sentenced to 30 do 15 and 10 do 5, first was attempted murder, the second was criminal confinement. His first charge time will be completed next year. His sentences were under one cause number, one episode, but he was given consecutive sentences and not concurrent. What is the criteria for filing to make these concurrent and what are his chances of getting this done? This is in Indiana. Thank you

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your son's difficult situation.

Unfortunately, if your son was sentenced to serve his prison sentences consecutively, while a petition to governor for clemency can be filed, generally very few sentences are commuted (reduced) by the governor, so it is not very likely that someone in your son's current situation would have a great chance of having his original consecutive sentences reduced.

Also, your son or his attorney can file a Petition to Modify Sentence or for Post-Conviction Relief with the same court that has sentenced him, but the chances of getting either petition granted are very slim, as the courts do not generally reduce or lighten sentence, unless there is some compelling legal reason to do so.

I am sorry to give you this tough news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide each and every JustAnswer.com customer with correct answer, even when my answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck!

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?