Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

Ive received a letter stating my case has been received by

I've received a letter stating my case has been received by a local police department's Investigation Division and giving the name of the lead investigator. It also requests that I call him if I have additional info that would assist in investigating the case.

This is catching me completely off guard, as I have no idea what they are referring to. Do I have cause to be concerned. I've tried calling them, but they are currently unavailable.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you online with me?

Alex Esquire :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Customer:

yes

Alex Esquire :

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Alex Esquire :

Can you please tell me more about this situation and what is being investigated by the local police department?

Customer:

At this point, I do not know. This letter was the first I heard of it and the detective is apparently out of the office today.

Alex Esquire :

Did you have a case with police department?

Alex Esquire :

Were you involved or investigated for any type of criminal activity?

Customer:

not to my knowledge

Alex Esquire :

Did you make any police reports or reported any crimes? Did the letter state anything about the nature of the police case?

Customer:

No, to all three questions.

Alex Esquire :

Well, at this point you can simply find out what this is all about and if you are a suspect in any criminal investigation.

Alex Esquire :

However, you do not want to be questioned by the police detective, since anything that you say can and will be used against you to build a criminal case.

Alex Esquire :

It is generally a good idea for someone in your position to contact a local criminal defense attorney and to have your local criminal defense attorney make the inquiry with the police detective and to handle any communications on your behalf.

Alex Esquire :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?

Customer:

no,thank you for your info