Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I am a diagnosed dementia patient stemming from Electroconvulsive

I am a diagnosed dementia patient stemming from Electroconvulsive Treatment for a bipolar condition. Though I had committed no crimes and have no criminal record to date over the last five years I escaped the ECT process with serious, documentable brain damage, including memory dysfuntion, quite severe and on the level of an early to middle stage Alzheiner patient. With cog and mem. impairment I drifted across the line legally.....
Hello Jacustomer,

Thank you for requesting me. You've provided me with some background, but I need to know what your question is. Have you been arrested for something or are you being investigated? Use the reply tab below and I'll try to assist once I have your answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Over the last five years, I for first time in 58 years of living on this planet, began impulsive grabbing of things in stores, forgetting to pay and sometime just walking out. I have returned about one half of what I estimate I shoplifted. I also as Alzheimer patients are apt to do, I fell into low to high risk exposing myself partially and fully naked in a variety of situations, as a flashed. I was seen by wife doing this on occassion. and seen by store personnel cross dressing. I turned myself into a CVS where I shop and [paid 300 dollars for things taken, women's apparel, cosmetics. I am transgender gay/heterosexual (in part, now)/

I feel I need to turn self in as a dementia patient who has done these things scores of times over the last five years. How do I do this. what kind of lawyer do I need if any,,, if I willing to confess. I have some documentation of things done in a one week span, plenty too. But for much of it is a blur. Much of it was impulsivity driven behavior foreign to me untll the forced ECT.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I have gotten nothing but a couple of questions to which I have responded with additional material and no response from you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for clarifying and sorry for the delay.

If nobody is looking for you because of these actions, turning yourself in for them is very unwise. You'd be punishing yourself for something that was arguably entirely out of your control and our system wouldn't do that. What I'm saying is your mental illnesses if documented would give you a defense to the charges.

I understand that you may have a guilty conscience. But the better way to deal with that would be through counseling. Incarceration or psychiatric commitment wouldn't be what you wanted, and restitution made after the fact does not mean you can't still be prosecuted and punshed for the acts themselves in the first place.

If this is something you really want to do, though, you'd need to retain a lawyer. Let him, rather than you, return the money or goods to the stores anonymously on your behalf. What you do and say about this constitutes an admission of guilt on your part which could be used against you if some one wanted to report you to the authorities. A lawyer would have to keep your admissions confidential and what he does say can't be used against you. It's safer that way.

You would need a criminal lawyer since potentially you would be facing larceny charges and low level sex offense charges.