Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

Is there a way to find out if someone has a restraining order

Is there a way to find out if someone has a restraining order against them? A friend's ex-wife is dating a convicted felon. He has reason to believe there may be an scribe TRO against the guy due to a past relationship. How could one find out if this is the case. He currently lives in Virginia, but it's possible if there is a TRO, that it may have been issued in another state.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The first place she can check is with the local police, since some states enter a TRO in the national domestic violence database. However, not all states enter TROs in the computer database and if the TRO was issued where they do not enter them would require you to know the state where it was entered and check with the court where it was issued. To start, it is likely the felony conviction would be from the same state where the TRO is entered so that would be a starting point and you would contact the court there to see if a TRO is entered, since that is public record and available to anyone who asks. If it is not available with the local police check that is where you would have to check next I am afraid.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience