Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

I have been asked by my sons new attorney to write a letter

I have been asked by my son's new attorney to write a letter requesting my son's sentence be reduced. He has served 10 years of a 17 year sentence of 1st degree manslaughter in the death of a child. My son has completed numerous college courses, NA meetings etc. never an issue in the 10 years, worked and went to school while incarcerated. Some of this info I know how to address. His coming to live with me etc out of state... Some of my dilemma is WHO to address the letters to. The sentencing Judge, the old prosecutor, or to both? I have asked this question to the new attorney, but he never answers, just to write the letter and sign... he will then present to both. I do not live in the state where the new attorney is or my son is incarcerated. Any guidance from you would be helpful!!! My son's girlfriend is taking our letters, school certificates etc to the new attorney next week.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If you're not sure who to direct the letter to, it can simply be addressed to "To Whom It May Concern." However, if the request is that the sentence be reduced, that can also be addressed directly to the judge that will be making the decision. The prosecutor gets copies of everything presented to the court, even if it's addressed to the judge.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.