Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

hello, i am a suspect in auto insurance fraud. I may falsified

hello, i am a suspect in auto insurance fraud. I may falsified my address to get cheaper insurance and now there is an investigation by the a Tampa police detective into the matter. The evidence he has are quotes from different insurance companies sent out by a friend of mine using my info. The investigator says I should plead guilty and use a public defender. In FL, this kind of fraud is a felony. I perplexed on what to do. He said hiring a lawyer would be a waste of money, but I don't really trust the guy trying to bust me for a life altering accusation. I'm just wondering what I should do.
Good evening! I am a criminal defense attorney in Florida and I believe I can provide assistance. What is your question for a legal expert to answer this evening? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello, i am a suspect in auto insurance fraud. I may have falsified my address to get cheaper insurance and now there is an investigation by the a Tampa police detective into the matter. The evidence he has are quotes from different insurance companies sent out by a friend of mine using my info. The investigator says I should plead guilty and use a public defender. In FL, this kind of fraud is a felony. Im perplexed on what to do. He said hiring a lawyer would be a waste of money, but I don't really trust the guy trying to bust me for a life altering accusation. I'm just wondering what I should do.

The question of "what I should do" is extremely broad. It is even more so in that you have not provided much information. For example, you have not stated whether the police have actually spoken with you, whether you made any statements or whether you have been arrested. Please provide a more specific question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes a Tampa police investigator called me and told me I am a suspect a auto insurance fraude investigation. I spoke with him briefly but made no statement regarding guilt or innocence I had planned a meeting to talk with him today but decided not to go. I called first thing this morning to let him know I would be there, and his response was "Thats fine, I'll come and arrest you when they issue a warrant". I said ok and that was the end of the conversation. I guess my initial question is; is this the type of case they would generally make an arrest and prosecute?

Thank you for the more specific question. Having said that, the question still remains rather broad and I have limited information. With that in mind, I'll answer the question as best I can. I would encourage you to request whatever clarification you may need. I thank you in advance for your patience.

.

Put simply, yes, this is certainly a legitimate charge and is prosecuted throughout the State of Florida. In fact, as a prosecutor, I handled several cases of insurance fraud. I will also say though that they can be difficult cases to prove. In such a case, the prosecutor would need to demonstrate that the defendant knowingly, intentionally, defrauded the insurance company. A fairly simple defense is that there was no intent to commit fraud and, instead, it was nothing more than an oversight or some other unintentional act.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.