Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

Is it against the law to live in West Virginia and go to school

Is it against the law to live in West Virginia and go to school online in another state?

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

What type of school are you referring to, please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My daughter is 16 and lived in WV but went to school online at a charter school in another state.

Thank you. It is not against the law. But you will want to be sure that the Charter School is recognized as Credible and is Certified. And, since she is only 16 and the compulsory age to be in school under W VA law is 17 I suggest you would need to verify that W VA will allow such a school to be a substitute for in classroom teaching.

There are guidelines that a parent must follow if they are "Home Schooling" a child and you can get those guidelines from the Superintendent of the W VA schools
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And if they won't allow that school am I in trouble?

There could be trouble because she is only 16 and there is a mandatory age of 17 and so if you did not clear it with the school they could bring negligent/truancy charges and so if the happens you will need to show the evidence that she has been in school on line and then see if they will grant some sort of waiver to keep from prosecuting this matter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Who do I call, the superintendent? And is this a misdeameanor or a felony?