Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a 20 year old dismissed felony charge for delivery

I have a 20 year old dismissed felony charge for delivery of a controlled substance (marijuanna) that occurred in the state of Idaho.I completed 50 hours of community service and paid a 800 dollar fine and it was done. I recently tried to have it removed from my record but was told that Idaho was one of the few states that doesn't expunge records. I have no other criminal record. I would like to finish. my teaching degree in Florida where I now live but I cant find anyone who can give me a answer. I need a definite answer.
Hi Jacustomer,

For purposes of a state license, a deferred adjudication would have to be disclosed and may count as a conviction. It depends upon what the licensing application says, but government agencies such as licensing agencies and school systems can ask about questions about your background that a non-government agency can't. One reason they can is that they can find the information anyway. Even after an expungement, nothing is sealed to the government itself.

So the application form will require you to disclose your convictions, even those that were diverted or deferred. If you do, because the conviction was dismissed, it may not cost you the job. That will be determined by the licensing board on a case by case basis. If you don't disclose it and they find it on a fingerprint check, the fact that you lied about it will put a blot on your character and could hurt you even more than the conviction. So the bottom line is that you can't 100% rule out the possibility of becoming a Florida teacher.

Good luck!