AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.

Hi, Is dashboard camera legal in PA? Is there any states

Is dashboard camera legal in PA? Is there any states specify that the dash cam is illegal? Thank you.

Best Regards,

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing Criminal law for 19+ years and look forward to assisting you.

Are you referring to videotaping simply where your vehicle is facing, moving or otherwise, as you travel the road, parking lots, etc.?

Also, is there a particular purpose in mind (i.e. monitoring a teenaged driver's abilities, etc.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alexia,

Yes. That was what I were referring. I don't have a particular purpose in mind, but just a general self-protection in case of an accident or other disputable situation. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Hi Charles, thank you for your clarification.

Good news - I see nothing ( and I live in PA ) to dispute what I had already understood. While audio tapes can be wrought with problems (as you likely know, so DON'T audio tape - at least not of other people), videos are fine in such a situation. I am finding no new laws to the contrary here in PA, even in the "first class city" of Philly.

Here is a great example of how a dash cam helped an innocent civilian prove his innocense in a traffic case - quite beautiful!

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.

Alexia Esq.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alexia,

Thanks for the helpful information. How about the neighboring states, such as NJ, DE, MD, NY, VA, OH, is there any legal issue with the dash cam? Thank you.

Best Regards,

Because each state must be individually researched, please create a new post for each (else it could be up to 30-50 hours of research of statutory and caselaw, which exceeds the scope of this original transaction question). However, I realize that YOU didn't realize this, so let me go do some NJ work and I will be back as soon as I am finished,with your answer for that state, included here. (If you are like me, you may be hopping into NJ on a fairly regular basis - some of us here in PA consider it a bit of a Nazi state, particularly those of us that grew up there (Morris County), but having family still in NJ, and a large part of my client based - well, we have to do what we have to do. And leave some of our constitutional rights at the Del. Water Bridge.

In any event, let me know if you understand the limits to this post - and that you want NJ first, and I'll go get it for you.

Thanks in advance, I'll wait to hear back from you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alexia,

Thanks for the information. I did not realize the situation as you mentioned. Should I start with a new question post or can I just reply to start a new post? if I need to start a new questions post, how do I know you will be the one to answer it? Thank you.

Best Regards,

Hi Charles, if you put TO ALEXIA ESQ., ONLY in your header, that should give the quick clue to others to get it to me. Should another contributor choose to disrespect that choice, feel free to judge him accordingly and insist. That is rare, by the way, but once in a blue moon. I'll keep my eyes open for you!

Also, with regard to NJ, I am finding no prohibition on dash video. In fact, NJ may also allow audio of a conversation so long as one party, which can be the audio taper himself if he is a party to the conversation, consents - and clearly the taper will confirm that he consents to his own act of taping.

Section d, below, is where this exception to wiretapping (audio) is spelled out in NJ:

2A:156A-4. Lawful interception activities; exceptions

4. It shall not be unlawful under this act for:

d. A person not acting under color of law to intercept a wire, electronic or oral communication, where such person is a party to the communication or one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception unless such communication is intercepted or used for the purpose of committing any criminal or tortious act in violation of the Constitution or laws of the United States or of this State or for the purpose of committing any other injurious act. The fact that such person is the subscriber to a particular telephone does not constitute consent effective to authorize interception of communications among parties not including such person on that telephone. Any person who unlawfully intercepts or uses such communication as provided in this paragraph shall be subject to the civil liability established in section 24 of P.L.1968, c.409 (C.2A:156A-24), in addition to any other criminal or civil liability imposed by law;

Video tape away! (I think I am going to get one also - any recommendations?) I'd like one that is MAC friendly.)