Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
11182422

A police officer knocked on my door and left. How do i find

A police officer knocked on my door and left. How do i find out why?

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Hello. Are you able to see this and respond?

Customer:

Yes

Brandon M. :

Great. Thank you for your question.

Brandon M. :

Do you have any particular reason to believe that you are the subject of a police investigation?

Customer:

Yes

Brandon M. :

Thank you for that clarification. To start, there is no way to truly know why a police officer might come to your door. It could be completely unrelated to you. Perhaps, for example, there was some suspicious activity outside your home, and the police officer wanted to know if you saw anything out the ordinary--there would be no record of that sort of inquiry in any report that the officer would fill out. It could be that you are being investigated, in which case the police department would generally be under no obligation to alert you to the fact that you are being investigated or why you are being investigated.

Brandon M. :

That said, since you have a particular reason to believe that you are the subject of a police investigation, it's most likely that any "visiting" officer would stop by your home for the sole purpose of questioning you.

Brandon M. :

The purpose of questioning in that situation is to build a case against you--to try to collect evidence that would help prove your guilt.

Customer:

So your saying it's not possible for me to find out why the police knocked on my door?

Brandon M. :

Anything you say to a law enforcement officer truly can and likely will be used against you, but the good news is that there is no obligation to answer any questions...

Brandon M. :

Yes, I am saying that there is no way to know for certain. Even if you called the local law enforcement agency to ask why they stopped by your door, they can legally lie to you about their intentions.

Brandon M. :

But we know that it wasn't to say a friendly "hello". They were either investigating you, or investigating someone else. The likelihood that they were investigating someone that is not in your household is typically very low.

Customer:

It was one cop but once he returned to his car an unmarked car pulled up beside him. Is it illegal not to answer the door?

Brandon M. :

It is legal to not answer the door when police come to your home. There is no requirement to answer the door.

Brandon M. :

Is that helpful?

Customer:

Ok one last thing. If i call the county clerks office are they required to inform me if I have a warrant? Or if i call the police department do they have to tell me?

Brandon M. :

There is no requirement to inform anyone that there is a warrant out for their arrest. Neither the county clerk's office nor the police department is required to disclose that information. That said, the police department will usually be happy to tell you if you ask--most people will turn themselves in--they can speak to an attorney beforehand, have their bail ready etc.--and it saves them the trouble of having to find you, arrest you, and bring you in. When I need to check for a client, I will just call the local police or sheriff's office and ask for their warrant's division.

Brandon M. :

Does that make sense? Does this help?

Customer:

Considering i still can't find out why they were here. Not really.

Customer:

I need to know how to find out why they were here.

Brandon M. :

I'm definitely sorry that I can only tell you that you won't be able to get the information because it simply isn't available. I hope that it at least saves you the trouble of wasting any additional time looking for that information.

Customer:

Fair enough.

Brandon M. :

I would just ask that you not leave a negative rating for me even if you don't feel that you can leave a positive one. Any attorney that you meet in person would have the exact same information for you, and I'm just glad that you're not pay $300 per hour to consult in person.

Brandon M. :

I respect others in my profession just fine, but something I like about this service is that it allows me to help people at a reasonable price.

Customer:

Im not gonna screw u or not pay u. Money is just paper. I will leave the highest rating and pay in full

Brandon M. :

Well, I certainly appreciate that. I can't fault someone if they don't feel satisfied because that's how they feel, but occasionally people don't quite understand how the rating system works and they'll leave a negative feedback thinking that they are rating how they feel about the law, and not about my service.

Brandon M. :

Was there anything else that I might help you with this evening?