MyraB
MyraB, Lawyer
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in criminal law and civil litigation from pre-trial practice to appeal.
74614265

I am an American. I was visiting a pen pal in Sweden. While

I am an American. I was visiting a pen pal in Sweden. While I was there, I had everything stolen out of his car. Only my things. My bag, containing everything I owned. My computer, clothes, social security card, birth certificate, phone, everything. I found it peculiar, only my bag was taken. We filed a police report, I had my passport and handbag on me. I am at a total loss. No one is doing anything about this theft. In that bag was also my medication. I could have died there. The American Embassy was useless, and the Swedish was as well for me. I still have no computer, I am back in the states and have to constantly be on alert. I do not know what to do?

Any help advice?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  MyraB replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am very sorry to hear that this happened to you. You seem to have done most everything that you can do in the circumstances. The crime appears suspicious, in that only your belongings were stolen, especially now that your pen pal will no longer speak with you. However, you reported the incident to the Swedish police who have jurisdiction over the theft and you have contacted your credit card companies.

If you have homeowner's or apartment insurance, you may want to report the theft to them also. They may cover thefts from vehicles, however, they may not cover occurrences in a foreign country. But, it might be worth a try.

Because in your situation and based on the items that were taken, identity theft is a concern, you may want to review your credit report and make certain the information is correct. You can receive a free credit report once every 12 months from each of the three nationwide consumer credit reporting companies through www.annualcreditreport.com, which is a government service provided in accordance with the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACT Act). You can also visit www.ftc.gov/idtheft for information on what to do if you become a victim of identity theft.

Again, I am sorry that this happened to you. I realize it is a devastating intrusion to have personal belongings stolen, especially when you may believe you've been targeted and may feel betrayed. The loss of a computer is never easy because we keep so much personal and important information on personal computers not to mention the cost of replacement. But, I'm afraid you've done all you can to recover what's been lost, and if something does turn up, the authorities will contact you. You may want to focus on preserving what you have and prevent any further damage to your identity or credit.

I wish you luck and please feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I Will look up the second site, thank you. I do have that feeling, I just am not sure. He also works with major credit card company in Sweden, I feel robbed, I don't think the Swedish police would fallow up. I don't even know if he has checked the lost and found. He just got a new car, and he says he is waiting on tax money or something to send me money for the computer. He sent $700.00 which is nothing compared to what I have to go through. I want to see if I can find out if he is involved.

Expert:  MyraB replied 1 year ago.
There does not seem to be way to find out if he was involved other than reporting your suspicion to the Swedish police and/or confronting him about the circumstances. He must be aware that the situation does not reflect well on him, and he appears to feel somewhat responsible if he did send you some money. But, I'm afraid there may be no way to know for sure. You may want to take steps to protect yourself, and if he comes through with money for the computer, great. Unfortunately, you have to expect the worst until he proves he can be trusted again. If he ever does.
MyraB, Lawyer
Experience: I have over 20 years experience in criminal law and civil litigation from pre-trial practice to appeal.