Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

if a person is charged with 8 sexual assaults and 3 murders

Customer Question

if a person is charged with 8 sexual assaults and 3 murders over a period of 2-3 years shouldn't he be afforded separate trials on each victim so as not to taint the jurors?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If each charge was from a completely separate offense, then they are entitled to a separate trial unless the defendant agrees to them being consolidated. If there are multiple victims in the same set of facts and circumstances he only gets one trial or if there are multiple sexual assaults on one victim he gets one trial not separate trials for each offense. Thus, legally it all depends on whether they were completely separate at different times or if they arose out of the same set of facts and circumstances at the same time.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You wouldn't happen to have a case cite to support the first answer would you? They were all separate assaults and murders happening at different times. It appears the police department just tried to close out some cases and dumped some of them on this individual.

I apologize but we are not a case law research service and the cost of that research far exceeds the scope of this service.

However, just because the DA wants to try the cases together, it is up to the defendant's counsel to file a motion to sever the trials on the separate counts. Consolidation of cases is at the DA's request and discretion of the court and for the defense to raise an objection to and counts are severed by the courts, as I said above, when they are all separate incidents not from the same facts or incident. AZ courts allow joinder of counts in the same trial on the basis of the counts being of the "same or similar character." Ariz. R. Crim. P. 13.3(a)(1).

Generally, when offenses are joined pursuant to Rule 13.3(a)(1), Ariz. R. Crim. P., for being of the "same or similar character," the defendant is entitled to severance as a matter of right "unless evidence of the other... offenses would be admissible under applicable rules of evidence if the offenses were tried separately." Ariz. R. Crim. P. 13.4(b); see also State v. Ives, 187 Ariz. 102, 106, 927 P.2d 762, 766 (1996).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. You went above and beyond your duties to answer my question. This is a Capital PCR case. I really appreciate your help. Have a great weekend!

Thank you .