Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
58645016

My husband threw a phonebook at me during an argument. I called

My husband threw a phonebook at me during an argument. I called the police because we had been through this just a year before but I envoked my 5th amendment and the state could not go forward. So he wasnt convicted. My question is the police didnt arrest him right away because I had no mark on me so the police got a warrant from the judge a week later. He turned himself in, got out and now he cant have any contact without me at all. Court isnt for a month in-a-half and the judge said the police will be watching. How long does that no contact last without a restraining order? How are we suppose to fix or heal from this if theres no contact between us? Or get counseling?
Welcome to JustAnswer.

The no contact order is a condition of his bond so it will stay in effect until the case is over or the judge lifts that condition of his bond.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How long does a case like this take usually

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im waiting for a response to my 2nd question before I rate the expert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im waiting for a response to my 2nd question before I rate the expert. How long does a case like this normally take? Can it all be over by this 1st court date which is a month in-a-half from now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
By answering my follow-up question

It could be over at the first court date if a plea agreement is reached between your husband and the prosecution on that day.

To answer your previous question there really is no "typical" time. I've seen cases that were disposed of at the first court appearance and others that drag out over months and even for more than a year. It just depends when a plea agreement is reached, or if there is no plea agreement, when the judge schedules a jury trial. If it is set for trial, you most likely are looking at least a few months down the road.