How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother lives in Alabama. he got married this year and now

Customer Question

My brother lives in Alabama. he got married this year and now has a 5 yr old stepson. His stepson goes to a daycare. today, police and child services came to his home and removed the child from his mother because the child stated that my brother hit him? my brother has denied this and is extremely depressed at the accusation. Today he found out that the child's father was accused of also hitting him and the child was removed 2 years ago from the home. my brother did tell the police all his activities today. I think that this child is getting these bruises at daycare? But, for now, what does my brother need to do? He thinks that he wants to leave the house/wife for a little while, especially since he did not know that the child was abused before? What should my brother do? he is terrified.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

Based on the facts as you have stated them thus far, a fairly obvious charge that might be brought against your brother is the charge of child abuse. As you can imagine, this is a fairly serious charge and could follow him around for the rest of his life. As an example, he might have a difficult time finding a job if a background check located such a charge.


With this in mind, your brother should take the allegations seriously. Your brother should consider retaining an attorney to help him with this matter. An attorney could contact law enforcement to let them know that your brother is represented. In turn, law enforcement would be prohibited from contacting your brother directly and would need to contact the attorney instead.


The hope, of course, would be to prevent an arrest from occurring. However, if an arrest became imminent, the attorney could also help in having your brother turn himself in. Such an action would help spare your brother the embarrassment and inconvenience of an arrest.


Your question was quite broad, please let me know if you require any clarification.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.