Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  14 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

DUI picked up on warrant being transferred to county jail-

DUI picked up on warrant being transferred to county jail- that is not in jurisdiction. What can be done
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
If there was a warrant issued for a defendant then they would have fugitive status so wherever they are stopped or picked up, they would be arrested and transported to the closest jail. The person would then be held on the detainer warrant and the issuing county would be notified that the defendant was in custody. It is then up to the issuing county to arrange for transport to come and pick up the defendant and transport him to the issuing county to deal with the charges.
.
So there is not much the defendant or any family could do to help at this point because a judge will not issue any type of bond for someone who has been picked up on a fugitive warrant.
.

I am sorry to have to provide you with unpleasant news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is being detained at the closest jail. But now they are transporting her to the county facility- which is not where the warrant is from. It is one county over.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
The closest jail likely doesn't have the capacity or adequate facilities to hold someone longer term. That is why they are transporting her to the county facility. This is because it can sometimes take a week or so for the issuing county to arrange for transport.
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. So there is no time
Limit placed on the transfer?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
There is a 30 day time limit for extradition from state to state, but nothing that is set in stone for an in state transfer. But if it is just a county away, it likely won't take over a week or so because the issuing county will want to have them appear in court now that they are in custody.
.

.

Thanks.

.

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience: 14 years practicing criminal defense.