ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

In the state of Florida what would I need to do to file harassment

In the state of Florida what would I need to do to file harassment against a client that I terminated?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

You can certainly talk to the police and file "charges" against the client for harassment. Once you do this, often part of the situation is that you'll get a protective order. If you want to seek a civil "injunction" against the harasser, you can do this by visiting the courthouse and asking the court clerk for paperwork to file.

ScottyMacEsq :

Fill out the petition and get it notarized. The more information you can provide about the incident(s) that qualify you to receive injunction protection, and on how the court can locate the harasser, the better. Do not sign the petition until you're in the presence of the court clerk or a notary.

Customer:

The client is in Florida and I am in Oregon

ScottyMacEsq :

I see. You can file in Oregon or Florida, although Florida would have the "better" jurisdiction as it could hold the client in contempt. I would still contact the court clerk and tell them about that, but also contact the police in the city/town and let them know. Again, they could pursue this matter, even if you're not physically present there.

ScottyMacEsq :

The key is to get all the harassing behavior, both before and after your request to stop, together in one place, to show the intent on the harasser's part.

ScottyMacEsq :

Give this to the police (email, fax, etc...).

ScottyMacEsq :

That should hopefully be enough to stop the harassment, but continue to document any harassing actions that this individual has done.

Customer:

OK sounds good. I have everything documented in emails from the client. I will call the police department tomorrow in Florida. Thank you

ScottyMacEsq :

My pleasre. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate this answer either a 3, 4, or 5 (good or better). Please note that I do not get any credit for this answer unless and until you rate it that way. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq :

*pleasure

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney