Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal law experience in both JAG and the civilian sector.

I posted an ad on craigslist for No strings attached adult

I posted an ad on craigslist for No strings attached adult fun. No mention of money just NSA fun. I was contacted by a lady and it seems like that is what she wanted. Then she brought up compensation, cash payment. Is that entrapment? I did agree to meet her but would not pay money for sex. Just a deep tissue massage. I never showed up to meet her as I felt she was an undercover cop plus I also dont feel right in accepting money for sex because it it illegal. Did I commit a crime by agreeing to meet her but only pay for a deep tissue massage? Like I said, I didn't show up but would like to know I didnt do anything illegal.

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

Agreeing to pay for a massage is not illegal. There are plenty of people that are paid for giving massages.

Also trying to set up a meeting for NSA sex is legal, so there is no issue there.

Asking you if you are willing to pay for sex though is not entrapment, not in this situation. Many people that go to craigslist start their ads for NSA sexual encounters, because it makes no sense to post an illegal request for money in exchange for sex.

So, it would not be entrapment for an uncover officer to, essentially, feel you out to see if that is what you are interested in. Entrapment requires a considerable amount of pressure to convince you to do something that you were not predisposed to do. For instance, someone friending you on facebook and then repeatedly asking if you'd like to pay for sex with them, again and again, over weeks. They keep lowering their price until finally, almost as a method of getting them to stop asking, you agree. That's entrapment.

A single question is not.

All that said, your facts do not describe any illegal act on your part here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! I can breathe a little easier then!! I just know there is a lot of sting operations and we were talking an no money was brought up then all of a sudden she wanted $100 for compensation. I did agree then to $100 for a message but just didnt show up. I just wanted to know I dont have to worry about the police showing up at my door to arrest me.

I can't tell you that police wouldn't show up. All I can tell you is that, based on the facts that you've outlined here, if all you agreed to was to pay for a deep tissue massage, that is not illegal by itself.

If there was some discussion about you paying for a massage, as long as there was some promise of NSA sex after, then the line gets blurry.

But, as you've stated the facts here, that is not a crime.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well when she mentioned cash for sex and she asked if I was good with that, I just said ok. Lets just meet and see if we click. Then I responded saying I wasn't comfortable paying for sex and that if she offered a message for a $100 or a service like that I would be good. The last email I said we could meet and it would be $100 for a deep tissue message. Like I said, I didn't show up as I just didnt feel right about it and didnt want to put myself in a bad situation

Ok. If you'd left it at the "ok" and then showed up, that would probably be enough to show intent for paying for sex.

The clarification that you were not comfortable paying for sex, and then talking about a massage moved it from a potential criminal act to one that was not criminal. At least, that is how I'd interpret it if that case were brought to me (I'm a prosecutor, so I'm used to seeing these cases and working through the issues).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yea, thats what I thought. My last email with her was meeting for a deep tissue massage. I just didnt feel right and honestly she caught me off gaurd with the cash. When I wouldn't just come out and agree she said I sounded like a cop. Anyway, I would never pay for it and just didnt feel right showing up and putting myself in a bad situation. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.