CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  7+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I got caught shoplifting at Target, they took my license down

I got caught shoplifting at Target, they took my license down and took a picture. They said it stays in the company and no police were involved. I want to know if there is anyway the police can look this up and it get be used against me. I'm trying to be a police officer. I know I made a stupid mistake, you don't have to tell me.. I have no record, no negatives ever against me.. Please offer me insight. thank you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Unless Target file a report and ask that you be arrested and charged, the police would not have access to the records of Target and see that this incident was documented internally. The reason they took your license and a picture, is to identify in the event that you return, when being warned not to. Since the police were never called, there would be no public record of this and it is not likely something that would be seen or asked about, when you apply to become a police officer.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So in other words I am okay, the police would only know if they contacted Target? Also the Target employee told me I should be getting a letter from target in the mail for paying a fine, If I pay it will that be a sign of guilt, I just don't want to ruin my career chances I know I messed up :( ty

The letter is going to be a civil demand letter, whereby Target is asking for civil damages, in regard to the shoplifting. The statute does allow this and you really have no choice but to pay it, unless you want them to file a lawsuit and sue you civilly, which I doubt you want to happen, since there would then be a record of it.
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience: 7+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.