Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor

I live in the state of washington. I was recently a victim of DV by a family member who i

I live in the state of washington. I was recently a victim of DV by a family member who is currently in jail. I was recentlycontacted by the PA office with three business days advance notice
that I needed to meet with the defense attorney and had no say whatsoever in the day and time of the meeting. Its my understand the defense attorney wants to interview me and the person who saved me from being killed (primary witness). Am I required to show up for this "interview" and be cooperative with the defense? Why don't I have a say on whether or not I want to do so? Am I required to show up for this "interview" with the defense? The PA indicated they would be there but I feel this may be an intimidation strategy. Should I be retaining my own lawyer so I know what I do and do not have to comply with.
Is this just an "interview" or is this a deposition? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was told it was for a "defense interview." I will be really upset if I show up expecting a interview and it isn't.

How were you notified? Just by a call? Or did you get a subpoena? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received a phone call from the PA's victim witness advocate (who won't be there b/c she's busy with another murder trial).

From what you have described, this sounds like a very informal process, as opposed to a deposition. In a deposition, you would be served with a subpoena and, as this is a court order, you would be required to attend.

In this situation though, there is no order in place for you to attend. With this in mind, you have some control over the situation. If you simply refuse to attend, the defense attorney likely will set up a deposition and put you under subpoena. Instead, you might consider contacting the prosecutor and letting him know that the established time does not work for you (perhaps it is too short of notice, you have to work, etcetera) and a new date and time will need to be set.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.