Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

my son 22, was pulled over and arested for having a small amount

my son 22, was pulled over and arested for having a small amount of cocain and heroin in his car. He was not under the influnce at the time. They took him to the station and charged him with CPCS 7th. and let him go ROR'd. He was never arested before and does not have a record. He has been a user and two weeks prior checked himself into a rehab program which he is going to 5 days a week. He is under a Suboxon treatment and is also seeing a therapyst. He also has a job and has just competed college. What should I expect is going to happen and how much should I expect to pay for a lawyer.

Thank you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

I'm a New York criminal lawyer, and if this is his first contact with the law and the amount of drugs on his person in personal use amounts, as they seem to be, the DA will likely make him an offer of a disorderly conduct (a violation and not a crime) on his court date or propose some other disposition which will keep him from being burdened with a misdemeanor record for the rest of his life. It will definitely help that he is in rehab, seeing a therapist, and interested in getting himself back on track so that he can have a successful career now that he's finished his education.

What you pay for a lawyer is going to depend on what will happen with the case. If your son wants a dispostion that will not involve a criminal conviction, then it shouldn't require much negotiating and the case likely won't last more than another adjournment or two. On the other hand, if he wants to fight the case and go all the way to trial, the lawyer will charge him accordingly as he must put a great deal of time into the case.

Roughly, he can expect to pay around the $1,000 range for a disposition, and quite a bit more for a trial. The most accurate way to find the going rate in your community is to call the New York Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. That's also a good place to find a lawyer. They charge $35 for the referral but it includes a half hour consultation with the lawyer.

I think this is what you wanted to know but if I left anything out, please use the reply tab below and let me know what it is so that I can reply and expand this answer.
Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.