Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I have a summons for trespassing. The date is August 20 and

I have a summons for trespassing. The date is August 20 and I have to start a new job out of state (tour) for six months August 13th. Is there a way to move the summons date up to an earlier date?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Yes, you can file a motion in the court through the clerk's office to either accelerate the trial date or to ask the court for a continuance based on you being out of state and have them continue it until after you return. Also, if you choose you can go to court and speak to the prosecutor and seek to make a plea agreement for an adjournments in contemplation of dismissal, under NY Criminal Procedure 170.55, which is where you pay the fine and then the charge is subsequently dismissed and it would not be on you record as a guilty upon dismissal of the case (usually after no further charges within 6 months).

These are your options for dealing with this matter prior to the set court date.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.