Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

Is a bounced post dated check a criminal or civil issue?

If you bounce a post dated check in the state of NY is it criminally punishable under NY State law, or a civil issue? I've posted this issue twice and recieved 2 completely different responses. Only 1 can be correct and I need to underand which one that is.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you.

Under federal law, there is really no such thing legally as a "post dated check." A post dated check is simply an alleged agreement between the parties that the recipient of the check will hold off on cashing it. However, under NY Penal Code 190.00, " 1. "Check" means any check, draft or similar sight order for the payment of money which is not post-dated with respect to the time of utterance." Thus, if you prove the check was post dated, this would be a defense to any charge of issuing bad checks.

The NY courts have held, "a post-dated check, standing alone, is not a "check" for the purpose of the offense of issuing a bad check." See: People v. Shimoni, 553 N.Y.S.2d 175, 159 A.D.2d 659 (N.Y.A.D. 2 Dept., 1990).

Thus, the DA would need more to pursue a conviction of issuing bad checks than the post dated check.

If they cashed the check after the date on the check and found it was not valid, this would be the additional evidence they would need to pursue a bad check charge if you failed to make good on the check upon demand.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.