Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

I was convicted of a 3rd offense dui on October of 2008 which

I was convicted of a 3rd offense dui on October of 2008 which carried a 15 year suspension. I've heard that I may be eligible to get it back after 7.5 years. Is this true?

It is not automatic, but you can apply for a pardon of your suspension from the DMV after seven years if you meet certain criteria. Basically, you have to show that you entered treatment, that you have abstained from drugs/alcohol for 7 years, and that you have had no further criminal or serious traffic (DUI or driving suspended) convictions during that time. You have to be evaluated again for substance abuse problems. If granted, you won't be able to operate a vehicle unless it has an ignition interlock device installed.

An outline of the requirements, the process, and a link to the application is located here:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The treatment and no further legal problems is easy to demonstrate. But how do I demonstrate the abstinence?

The current assessment should cover that, as well as an absence of any charges in that period that relate to drugs or alcohol. They will tell you if they require additional proof, such as a drug test, a letter from someone close to you attesting to your abstaining, or an affidavit from you that swears that you have been abstaining.