RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

if a driver is charged with second degree murder will the passenger

if a driver is charged with second degree murder will the passenger in the driver's car be charged as well?
Thank you for using Just Answer.

In order to best answer your question, I need a litlte more information.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

Also, can you tell me a litlte about the circumstances? Normally, if a driver causes a fatality with their car while driving, if a charge were to be filed it would be something like vehicular manslaughter, not murder -so I want to make sure I understand the background.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The state is Michigan and there was alleged illegal racing involved
Thank you for your patience.

A passenger cannot be charged with a criminal act in this situation . The operator of the vehicle who caused the fatality/fatalities would be the one to face charges. There are some states that can impose passenger liability (e.g., in some states, if a passenger lets a person they know is drunk drive their car and cause an accident, they can be charged as well) but nothing that I have seen in Michigan's laws provides for passenger criminal liability in a situation like the one you describe.

Also, as an aside, the charge is likely to be something like vehicular manslaughter/vehicular murder as the death involved the use of a vehicle.