CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  7+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

Im filling out an application for work, and it ask if you

I'm filling out an application for work, and it ask if you have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or a felony. I was arrested many years ago for two failures to appear for minor traffic violations. Does that count?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. What were the traffic tickets for and what was the resolution after you were arrested, as a result of failing to appear? Were you just assessed a fine and court costs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I appeared in court the following morning and paid the fines. I think I had to plea guilty, but I don't remeber if it was guilty to the failure to appears or the traffic violations or both. The two tickets were for speeding and no seat belt.

Would you mind just clarifying for me the State this occurred in? For some reason it did not appear and then I can provide you with an answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The state of Alabama. Thanks for your help.

This is what it says: Have you EVER been convicted of any crimes? misdemeanor or felony.

You are welcome. Assuming the speed which you were going was not excessive, that citation along with the seat belt violation would be civil infractions and not be consider misdemeanors or felonies. However, the issue would still remain as to the outcome of the failure to appear, since you stated above, you do not recall what you plead to or what the outcome was. The reason I say this is because it is possible that it was something that was paid and no action was taken or if you were charged, it could possible be considered a misdemeanor, since it does carry with it the possibility of jail time. What you actually need to do, is view the court record and see the disposition of the case. You can try and do this online, if the clerk of courts website will allow you to look up the case and outcome. If not, you can call the clerk in the morning and ask or you may have to go in person and pull the court file. None of these are felonies, but the FTA may be a misdemeanor and if so, you would need to know how it was resolved, prior to answering the job application with a "NO", which I know you want to do. My inclination is that you were not convicted of a misdemeanor but you will want to double check by looking at the court file or speaking with the clerk, to avoid this possible having a negative effect on your application, in the event you answer incorrectly. I do not think it would be something that results in your not getting the position, since it is no minor in nature but they may think you are trying to hide something, when that is not your intent.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience: 7+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.