How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 101731
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was charged with a felonious assault but never convicted. I am having trouble finding p

This answer was rated:

I was charged with a felonious assault but never convicted. I am having trouble finding proof that I was not convicted. Where can I go to find this information in the state of WV?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation. The best way to have a confirmation that you have no conviction is to request a Criminal History Summary Check from the FBI. See here.

Although the local county's records may be lacking, the FBI keeps a detailed record of all such convictions, both state and federal. Ironically, a Criminal History Summary Check from the FBI often holds more water than the local records of the county wherein the matter actually occurred.

The record is very inexpensive and is easy to request (see link).

This may be the best and most practical way to confirm that you have no conviction. Unfortunately, there is no "petition" that one can file with the court to confirm that there is no conviction. While this may be possible via a Writ (also a pleading), the FBI record may be more practical, as the Writ will require an attorney, and also legal fees.

Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you