Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

If I dont have an attorney can I still work out a plea deal

Customer Question

If I dont have an attorney can I still work out a plea deal with the prosecuting atty
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

Is it a misdemanor or felony?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
As a general rule a defendant in a misdemeanor case can work on a plea bargain themselves. It is rarely a good idea since that could easily include the prosecutor getting you to say too much and this harming your case but in all states a person can always choose to represent themselves.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have never been in trouble of any kind before, never arrested or anything, I was arrested for solicitation prostitution in Alabama, a very stupid thing to do and was busted by an undercover sting operation. i want to have this dropped and expunged. have ben told that can work out a pre trial diversion program and file for an quck petition to have expunged. Didnt know if I could do this myself or am I going to have to pay an atty to make sure its done properly
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
If you want a pretrial diversion and an expungement hire an attorney for sure. To be honest, lawyers don't even represent themselves when they get charged with criminal cases, it is too easy to miss something when you are tied up in it and a layman really shouldn't do this themselves.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you have any idea how much something like this would cost, and do you have to pay all before trial or how does that work
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i accidentally hit submit and not reply would you be kind enough to finish up even though I already paid for the question
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
Sure, thanks for the rating.

My guess would be $1000-1500, maybe slightly more if you need the expunction as well. However, if you get a pretrial diversion it isn't a conviction and so an expungement may not be necessary.