Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  9 years legal experience, primarily in criminal justice

A couple of weeks ago I was involved in an undercover sting.

A couple of weeks ago I was involved in an undercover sting. The only reason I know is because I was suspended from my place of employment pending investigation and they told me why. In short, an officer asked me to procure a prostitute and I said "I'll see what I can do." I went about my night as usual, just blowing off said officer, remember, I didn't know he was undercover and I just wanted him to stay at my establishment and spend money, the reason I was giving him the run around. Said officer kept calling me over and asking where the girls where, again I just shrugged him off and said "They were on their way." He then begin texting me and asking over and over for the girls. I kept giving him the run around and eventually just ignored him. At the end of the night I said "I'm sorry I couldn't help you and I'm leaving for the night." At no time did I bring anyone to him at all. It's been two plus weeks. Could I still be in trouble under the laws of conspiracy or solicitation? I have never said yes to someone at work and regret doing so. It was a slow week and I just wanted the group to stay and spend. Morally and ethically I know I was in the wrong but I'm worried about criminally now. Thanks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.
Hello.

I think it would be a stretch for you to be criminally charged. To be charged with conspiracy, there has to be an agreement to commit an illegal act between two or more parties and it sounds like you were fairly noncommittal. And for solicitation itself, you had to have actually agreed to engage in prostitution and since it does not sound like you actually spoke to a prostitute, it would not be applicable here. There also may be an entrapment defense here if they were somehow able to cobble together enough information to sustain a conspiracy charge, which is available when an officer pushes someone into engaging in a criminal behavior that they would not ordinarily have done absent the other officer's persuasion.

If the police want to interview you about this just remember you have the right to remain silent and don't have to answer questions if you don't want to. If you are somehow charged, it would be a good idea to hire a lawyer or apply for the public defender if you can't afford a lawyer just to ensure that your rights are protected and to either negotiate a plea or contest the case at trial. While I do think it is hard to find support for charges in what you have told me, it is just a good idea to be aware of what could happen in case the officers do try to proceed.
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience: 9 years legal experience, primarily in criminal justice